Sometimes you need site-specific information, or validation of the plans you’ve developed on your own. Certified Arborists can make a “house call” consultation to advise about growing a tree (or several) on your property. And Certified Arborists can advise institutional property owners about where and how to grow more trees on their property. Hourly rates range from $70 to $100/hour. What’s involved in such a consultation?
- Clarification of reasons for growing a tree (“right purpose”)
- Suitability of the site, availability of irrigation (could be a hose and faucet timer for a private yard), and placement of the tree (“right place”)
- Short list of locally-suitable and -available tree species to consider (“right tree”)
- Referral to nurseries offering quality 5-gallon trees for back- and front-yards and 15-gallon trees for institutional properties, https://katestrees.org/how-to-get-a-tree/
- Reassurance that homeowner can easily transport, dig the hole, plant the tree, and care for it
- Specifications for preparing for tree planting event, training and oversight during the event, and requirements for watering and tree care
- Offer to return in a year or two for young tree pruning (for separate fee, or included in initial consultation)
To identify and contact a local arborist, start with https://www.treesaregood.org/findanarborist/findanarborist . Locally, several Certified Arborists that are members of the Professional Tree Care Association, https://ptcaosd.wildapricot.org/ are now offering these services. If you would like some local referrals, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .