Kate Sessions Commitment (KSC) was formed in early 2019 to increase investments in “healthy trees for healthy neighborhoods, inspired by Kate Sessions’ tree planting in exchange for using City (now Balboa) Park land for a nursery. Our mission became embedded in the logo: Canopy. Community. Climate Action.
Since then, KSC has evolved as a movement and advocacy group with these accomplishments and others:
- Retail availability of 5-gallon shade and native trees, sourced from local wholesale nurseries
- Website https://katestrees.org/
- Social media, Facebook katestrees.org and IG #katestrees
- Key contact lists and occasional eblasts
- Intern projects (with stipends) for community-based tree mapping, social media, support for growing trees in underserved communities
- Comments on Climate Action plans, tree protection, and ___, at City of San Diego council and committee meetings
- Participation in climate action, climate equity, urban forestry, and other local groups
- Guidance on “getting and growing trees” to organizations that want to plant trees to meet their missions, including Interfaith Committee on Environmental Justice and Sierra Club
- Coordination of “drought tree watering” committee of arborists, landscapers, and water professionals, with video and other educational materials at https://drought.katestrees.org/.