Kate Sessions planted 100 trees a year in Balboa Park, as part of her agreement to operate a nursery on City of San Diego land. In honor of that commitment, we invite communities to make their own “Kate Sessions Commitment” to plant, protect, or advocate for 100 trees each year or over several years. Our commitments will continue her legacy, establish our legacy for the future, and bring us cooler, greener, and healthier neighborhoods!
A neighborhood, business district, non-profit, or other group can make a commitment (10, 20, 100 or more trees) for a specified time (one to three years). Then we develop an action plan, work with a community liaison to track those actions, and eventually celebrate tree additions and advocacy. Groups that make this commitment are recognized as a Partner of Kates Sessions Committment.
Actions can include:
- Planting and caring for new trees in front and back yards, in schoolyards, at houses of worship, in community gardens, and other locations
- Requesting street trees to be planted in rights-of-way
- Removing concrete so trees can be planted
- Protecting trees from vandalism
- Reporting sidewalk conflicts that can be corrected to preserve trees
- Nominating eligible mature trees for heritage designation, and more!