Whatever your mission or motivation, there are many reasons and resources to grow trees:
- Climate action, urban cooling, energy reduction
- Healthy neighborhoods, active living
- Tree canopy, shade, and cool places during heat events
Trees are great for front- or back-yards, and can be purchased at a local nursery for about $50 in the 5-gallon size. These smaller locally-suitable trees are easy to transport and dig the hole for, and establish well to their new site.
Right away you’ll have more nature in your daily life. In five years, you’ll know the tree is successfully established. In ten years, you can sit under its shade. And in twenty years it will be a family or neighborhood legacy tree.
- Follow these steps!
- Confirm a site, choose a tree
- Purchase and pick up a 5-gallon tree from a local nursery
- Plant the tree, then water and take care of it
- Or donate so others can grow a tree
Give a shade, native or fruit tree, as an eco-friendly gift instead of adding more “stuff” to the world. Donate $50 so someone else can get and grow a tree, but just can’t afford to purchase it. And most important, protect the trees that already bring us shade, nearby nature, and simple pleasures.