Whatever your mission or motivation, there are many reasons and resources to grow trees:
- Climate action, urban cooling, energy reduction
- Healthy neighborhoods, active living
- Tree canopy, shade, and cooler places in the summer heat
Trees are great for front- or back-yards, and can be purchased for about $50 in the 5-gallon size at Walter Andersen Nursery in Old Town (check inventory). These smaller locally-suitable trees are easy to transport and dig the hole for, and establish well to their new site.
Right away you’ll have more nature in your daily life. In five years, you’ll have a tree that’s successfully established. In ten years, you can sit under its shade. And in twenty years it will be a family or neighborhood legacy tree.
- Follow these steps!
- Confirm a site and choose a tree.
- Purchase and plant the tree, water and take care of it, and watch it grow!
- If you can’t afford a tree right now, request a tree.
You can also donate $50 so others can grow a tree. Give a shade, native or fruit tree, as an eco-friendly gift instead of adding more “stuff” to the world. And most important, protect the trees that already bring us shade, nearby nature, and simple pleasures.
[landing page for organizations and their members]